About half of the required courses are taught in the College of Education and the other half in Italian Studies. Students typically complete the Italian program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst in two to three years, but their last semester is always dedicated to hands-on training known as the practicum, an essential component of all the Commonwealth's educator preparation programs. During that semester, students work alongside an Italian teacher in a Massachusetts high school. Prof. Stacy Giufre chooses the mentor teacher and supervises our students' work.
In order to teach Italian at grades 5-12 in a public school in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, teachers must possess a license. You should know that there is a very precise set of rules regarding the four types of educator licenses. Teachers who earn an MAT in Italian at UMass begin their careers right away with an Initial License. What's more, UMass Amherst holds national accreditation under the rigorous standards set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP, formerly NCATE). This is important because Massachusetts is a signatory of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement, which facilitates licensure reciprocity in all member states and several provinces in Canada. In other words, you can get your MAT here and take your license almost anywhere. Even Guam! No other institution in the Commonwealth offers a teacher licensure program in Italian Studies.
- Student Teaching
- Education and the Law
- Work of the Middle and High School Teacher
- Early Renaissance
- The "Maestri" Antonioni and Fellini
- The Divas: Female Icons in Italian Cinema
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Teaching View 694 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A BA degree with a major in Italian, but anyone with a related major and adequate preparation will also be considered.
- We ask that you send official transcripts of your undergraduate work, your GRE scores and other materials as explained in Spire once your application is underway.
- It is best if you have your letters of recommendation sent by people who know your academic work and have an idea of your aptitude for teaching.
- If your native language is not English, you must additionally present a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL exam in order to enroll at UMass Amherst.
International20380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10190 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10190 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4671 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.