At this Evolution - From the Galapagos to the 21st Century MRes course offered by the University of Southampton you’ll work with academics from across the University while developing knowledge and skills in your chosen specialism.
As an MRes student you’ll spend more time on your research project and less on the taught part of the course.
You’ll gain a unique perspective on the subject through insights from subject areas including:
- biological sciences
- computer sciences
- ocean and Earth sciences
You’ll gain a strong foundation in evolutionary biology, while learning about new methods, current global challenges and the latest research topics, such as:
- evolutionary medicine
- evolutionary developmental biology (evo-devo)
- computational evolution
- the philosophy of science
A highlight of the course is a 2-week field trip to the Galapagos, the ‘living laboratory’ that played a key role in Darwin’s theory of evolution. This is an amazing opportunity for you to discover how these remote islands’ unique species helped to shape modern science.
A range of career opportunities are open to you having completed your MRES:
- Biotechnology, pharmaceutical, agricultural industry- depending on specialisation
- Postgraduate research training
- Scientific officer in research laboratories
- Global Change Biology
- Cancer Chromosome Biology
- Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
- Evolution of Complexity
- Structure and Dynamics of Networks
- Modelling with Differential Equations
- Philosophy Individually Negotiated Topic
- Orthopaedic Biomechanics
- Computational methods in biomedical engineering design
- Microfossils, Environment and Time
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHistory Biology Bioinformatics View 645 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree.
International28000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14600 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £28,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.