At History of Philosophies, East and West from Stony Brook University the systematic areas covered from historical perspectives are ethics, political philosophy, metaphysics, cosmology, psychology, aesthetics, theology and theories of knowledge. The program’s courses and seminars on eastern thought include treatments of its western interpretations, and vice versa. Teaching is based on primary texts, with selective use of secondary sources.
Students at History of Philosophies, East and West from Stony Brook University will:
- be understanding of native terms and concepts from the original languages of the works read.
- deepen their understanding of the history of philosophy under the guidance of internationally renowned scholars of modern, medieval, and classical philosophical traditions.
- New York German Idealism Workshop
- New York City Workshop in Early Modern Philosophy
- New York/New Jersey Research Group in Early Modern Philosophy
- Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy
- Ancient Philosophy Society
- Society for the Study of Islamic Philosophy and Science
- Columbia University Society for Comparative Philosophy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Philosophy & Ethics View 795 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Stony Brook University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor’s degree (Some knowledge of the history of philosophies, East and/or West, is highly desirable but not required.)
- Two official transcripts of undergraduate record and of any work completed at the graduate level
- Letters of recommendation from three previous or current instructors
- Writing sample
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores
- TOEFL scores for applicants whose native languages are not English
- Acceptance by HPEW and the Graduate School
International25732 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12866 USD per semester during 12 months.
National25732 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12866 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State13942 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6971 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.