On this International Mineral Law and Policy LLM from University of Dundee you will study how the minerals industry is changing quickly as environmental and sustainability concerns grow and understand how the industry previously worked and how it will move towards a sustainable future.
You'll examine the regulatory and contractual environment surrounding the minerals industry. You will learn about how mining rights are granted, the production process, and decommissioning.
You will also study the choices facing governments and companies, and look at how governments can enforce changes to out-dated practices to improve environmental and sustainability performance.
Mining projects create all sorts of regulatory issues, ranging from illegal mining to social and economic impacts. You will learn about the stages of the industry, including recognising the changing place of minerals in the world economy.
You will also learn about:
- the ways investors allocate risk over the long term
- the nature of mining rights
- the regulatory and contractual model surrounding a mining project
- mineral economics and options for mineral taxation
- social, environmental, and sustainability issues surrounding mining projects
- dispute avoidance and resolution
You do not need to be a lawyer to take this course.
CEPMLP has been a global voice of energy law and policy since 1977. We are now working towards the transition to low-carbon economies worldwide. With over 6,000 postgraduate alumni from more than 50 countries, we prepare our graduates for high–profile careers in the public and private sectors.
You could go on to work in:
- tax authorities
- international and national mining companies
- state mining companies
- minerals trading companies
- international organisations and non-governmental organisations
- Mining Law from a Global Perspective
- Mineral Resources Policy and Economics
- International Mining Transactions and ESG Standards
- Downstream Energy Law and Policy
- Analytical Tools for Energy Economics
- Financial and Project Analysis of Natural Resources and Energy Ventures
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Law Geology Master of Laws (LLM) View 367 other Masters in Master of Laws (LLM) in United Kingdom
- An honours degree in Law, Economics, Finance, Geology, Petroleum, or Mining Engineering at lower second class or above
- Consideration will also be given to applicants with other academic backgrounds who explain clearly their motivation for undertaking the relevant LLM, outlining any relevant legal work experience
International19900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8350 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Dundee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.