You’ll learn the skills for successful language projects in communities undergoing language recovery. This Indigenous Language Revitalization program at University of Victoria, British Columbia is accessible to those who cannot leave their communities for more than a few weeks at a time.
Areas of focus
- Indigenous language revitalization
- Post-secondary program support
- Indigenous culture and knowledge systems
- Indigenous teacher education and student success
- Indigenous pedagogies and practices
Join a generation of language experts at the forefront of Indigenous language revitalization efforts. You'll be a language scholar with the expertise to lead in post-secondary institutions and communities. Learn how to support the revitalization, reclamation and maintenance of Indigenous languages.
The MA program is thesis-based. The MEd program is project-based.
If you’re unable to complete the full program, you can apply to receive the Graduate Certificate as an exit credential after the first two terms of this program.
- Leadership and Governance for Language Revitalization
- Proposal and Literature Review
- Seminar in Applied Linguistics
- The Global Context of Language Revitalization
- Researching Community-Based Initiatives in Language Revitalization
- Linguistic Field Methods
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Language Studies View 82 other Masters in Language Studies in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants to all the Indigenous Education graduate programs must follow the admission procedures and meet the minimum requirements set out by the Faculty of Graduate Studies in the Faculty Admissions section of the calendar. In addition, Indigenous Education allows exceptional entry admission (as defined in next section) on a case by case basis with support of the academic unit.
- The application to the Master of Arts degree requires the agreement of a regular faculty member to supervise the student before entry to the program. Students should indicate their interest in the Master of Arts program in the Statement of Intent and also explain their thesis study intentions.
- Applicants must submit two letters of reference
- Applicants must submit a statement of intent describing their interest in the program and how they plan to use the program to promote community development in Indigenous language and culture revitalization.
International5280 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2640 CAD per semester during 24 months.
National4186 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2093 CAD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Victoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.