The Department of Materials Science and Engineering awards the M.S. (thesis required) and the M.Eng. (non-thesis) in materials science and engineering. Candidates for these degrees must hold, or be pursuing, a degree in any branch of engineering, physics, chemistry, geological science, or mathematics.
The Materials Science and Engineering program of Virginia Tech offers specializations in:
- structure and properties of crystalline and non-crystalline materials,
- materials synthesis, processing, and fabrication,
- theoretical understanding and computer modeling of materials structures, properties and processes,
- phase transformations,
- thermodynamics and phase equilibria,
- diffusion and kinetics of solid state reactions
- mechanical, thermal, electrical, optical, and magnetic property characterization of all material types
- microelectronic and optoelectronic materials.
- Materials Science and Engineering Graduate Fundamentals
- Mathematical Methods in Materials Research
- Structure and Properties of Materials
- Powder Processing
- Advanced Materials Thermodynamics
- Diffusion and Kinetics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 372 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
- The Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) Department encourages applications from students with undergraduate backgrounds in materials science and engineering, chemistry, physics, geology, and most fields of engineering
- GPA: In general, the MSE Department normally expects applicants to have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 scale) or better for either the B.S. degree program or the last 60 hours of course work
- GRE: Students applying to MSE must take the GRE. We would like our applicants to have scores of at least 150 on Verbal, 155 on Quantitative, and a 4.0 on the Analytical Writing section. However, it is fine to apply if your scores don't meet these minimums. We will view your entire application in order to make our decision
- TOEFL/IELTS: International applicants must take the TOEFL unless they have completed a degree at an English speaking university
International18942 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9471 USD per semester during 12 months.
National18942 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9471 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State9398 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4699 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Blacksburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.