This Master of Tourism and Destination Management offered at Victoria University course incorporates tourism and management studies with a focus on addressing contemporary issues and challenges faced by destinations internationally.
The program is embedded within an established suite of business programs including Victoria University’s internationally awarded MBA.
In the course you will:
- build managerial skills and cross-disciplinary knowledge
- develop your skills in understanding, analysing and responding to the complexity of the tourism and events industries within a destination
- explore relationships between tourism and destination management and the broader economic, social, political and environmental context.
Careers in tourism
According to Deloitte, the tourism industry is identified as ranking second within a set of ‘fabulous five’ industry sectors that will drive Australian economic growth with projections of almost 5 per cent growth per annum over the next thirty years.
The UN World Tourism Organisation (external link)estimates rapid, continued growth in tourism in the Asia Pacific region. This trend will fuel employment growth in tourism and related areas.Job titles
The Master of Tourism and Destination Management will equip students for roles such as:
- planning and policy development officers in government departments at national, state and local and regional levels
- research and planning officers with research and consulting firms
- tourism planning and promotion agency staff
- tourism educators through private providers and TAFE
- policy officers with professional and industry associations
- managers of attractions
- marketing and communication roles (events)
- planners within the travel sector (airlines and other major transport providers)
- self employment through tourism management businesses.
- Tourism and Events: Core Concepts and Theory
- Cross-cultural Dimensions of Destination Management
- Art and Practice of Leadership
- Business Research Methods
- Business Ethics and Sustainability
- International Tourism Management
- Emerging Trends in Tourism and Destination Management
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , National
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHospitality Management Event Management Tourism & Leisure View 16 other Masters in Hospitality Management in Australia
Completion of an Australian Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a similar discipline
Completion of an Australian Graduate Certificate (or equivalent) in a similar discipline
Applicants without an undergraduate qualification may be admitted to the Graduate Certificate (in the same discipline) based on approved work experience. Upon completion of the Graduate Certificate, graduates will be eligible for admission to this course with credit granted for completed units.
International28000 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28000 AUD per year and a duration of 18 months.
National26800 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26800 AUD per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.