- They are on the front lines to help address mental health issues, support wellness, and bring about meaningful change in their communities. Those efforts are central to helping people achieve their emotional, social, academic, and career goals — counselors help people live happier more fulfilled lives. Students who come to study in the Counselor Education program of Virginia Tech are driven by that same desire to help people.
- The Virginia Tech Counselor Education Program prepares professional counselors, counselor educators, and leaders in the counseling field with a professional identity that incorporates the intentional use of strength-based approaches, reflective practice, innovative and evidence-based strategies, and ongoing research to support and enhance our schools and communities.
- The program serves students from the Commonwealth of Virginia, the country, and the world, at campuses in Blacksburg and Roanoke, Virginia. The faculty provides continuing education and consultation to school systems, community agencies, and other organizations to support the development of helping professionals already in the workforce. Our faculty and students recognize that we live in a dynamic pluralistic society, and we are dedicated to enriching the lives of children, adolescents, and adults in our schools and communities.
- Orientation to Professional Counseling
- Theories of Counseling & Consultation
- Counseling Techniques
- Group Counseling
- Counseling Diverse Populations
- Career Development and Information Services
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Counselling View 981 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with 3.0 grade point average (GPA) for the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work for regular admission status or 2.5 GPA to 2.99 GPA for provisional admission status.
- Have career goals consistent with the degree offered by Counselor Education.
- Demonstrate commitment to time requirements of the Counselor Education program.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills
- Official Transcripts
- GRE is optional for Counselor Education
- Three letters of recommendation are required
- A letter of interest (250-500 words) is required by the School of Education along with your latest Curriculum Vitae
- International students might be required to submit TOEFL scores, immigration documents, and other additional materials with their application
International18942 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9471 USD per semester during 24 months.
National18942 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9471 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State9398 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4699 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Blacksburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.