The Mental Health Practice (for Approved Mental Health Professionals) programme offered by the University of Wolverhampton is designed to enable mental health professionals to develop and demonstrate practice in accordance with the published requirements of external professional, statutory and regulatory bodies in order to act as Approved Mental Health Professionals.
Potential Career Paths
Approved Mental Health Professionals undertake a range of duties under the Mental Health Act 1983. The Code of Practice to Mental Health Act (1983) states that local authorities should ensure that sufficient AMHPs are available to carry out their functions under the Act and that a 24-hour service is available.
A local authority will approve an AMHP to act on behalf of the authority and will only do so if satisfied that the applicant has appropriate competence in dealing with mentally disordered people (MHA 1983 s114(3)). This can be demonstrated by successful completion of the course.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Mental Health Act for AMHPs
- Legal and policy context of AMHP practice
- Critical knowledge for AMHPs
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Direct applications can be made any time prior to the course start date but we will need sufficient time to process it.
DisciplinesPsychology Human Medicine Health Sciences View 709 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
All candidates will need to have;
- at least 2 years post-qualifying experience of mental health or related health and social care services; and
- an honours degree or successful study of at least one module at level 6.
- be a social worker registered with the Health and Care Professions Council; or
- be a first level nurse, registered in Sub-Part 1 of the Nurses’ Part of the Register maintained under article 5 of the Nursing and Midwifery Order, with the inclusion of an entry indicating their field of practice is mental health or learning disabilities nursing; or
EU/EEA1890 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1890 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.