If you would like to learn how to explore language using innovative techniques and computer tools, then this Practical Corpus Linguistics for ELT, Lexicography, and Translation Masters course at University of Wolverhampton will offer you cutting-edge, research-led training of the highest quality, taught by leading researchers in the fields of linguistics and computer science.
You will have options enabling you to study:
- How people use words to make meanings;
- How to analyse real language usage;
- The role of phraseology, metaphor, and idioms;
- Creative and poetic uses of language;
- New approaches to language teaching;
- Translation tools such as translation memory systems;
- Creating dictionaries using new kinds of evidence;
- Using computer tools for teaching and translation.
The course will enable you to develop interdisciplinary knowledge and practical, transferrable skills, enabling you to meet the most recent and relevant demands of the field.
If you are interested technological aspects of language study, you will also have an option to learn basic computer programming – a skill that is increasingly sought after by companies seeking to employ language professionals.
As a Masters student on this course, you will be part of our Research Institute of Information and Language Processing (RIILP), an independent, research-driven University unit specializing in linguistics and natural language processing.
- Research Methods
- Words, Meanings, and Linguistic Creativity
- Lexicography: Theory and Practice
- Python Programming
- The Forms and Functions of English
- Translation Technology
- Using Corpus Data for ELT
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Direct applications can be made any time prior to the course start date but we will need sufficient time to process it.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 550 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- The entry requirement is a good undergraduate degree in Linguistics, English, Foreign Languages, Translation, Language Teaching/TESOL, Creative Writing, or Computer Science. We will consider applications with an overall grade of 2:1 and above.
- Exceptionally, a 2:2 will be considered upon a successful interview.
International14450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14450 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7995 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7995 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Part time Home: £3998 per year
Living costs for Wolverhampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.