You may choose from a wide range of specialisations, including commercial translation, audio-visual translation, scientific and technical translation, literary translation, translation project management and translating for international organisations, translating into or out of English and any other language.
We provide training in the use of translation technologies, including translation memory, terminology management and subtitling.
Options are available in consecutive interpreting and public service interpreting for those who would like to begin to develop these skills.
We also offer research-intensive, optional units in translation and interpreting studies and cross-cultural pragmatics for those who wish to prepare for doctoral study in translation or interpreting studies.
Many of our graduates begin careers in translation and interpreting, while others pursue roles in international business and marketing, film production and distribution, and publishing.
Some graduates also pursue careers in academia.
Graduates of the Translation and Interpreting Studies course from The University of Manchester have found employment at UN agencies, internationally-minded cultural organisations, translation agencies in the UK and abroad, industry, and universities in the UK and around the world.
- Translation and Interpreting Studies
- Research Methods (Translation and Interpreting Studies)
- Research Methods (Translation Studies)
- Audiovisual Translation
- Literary Translation: Contexts and Challenges
- Commercial Translation
- Scientific and Technical Translation
- Translating for International Organisations
- Translation Technologies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 111 other Masters in Translation & Interpreting in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Manchester and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Some English Language test results are only valid for two years. Your English Language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.
- You must provide evidence that you have met our English language requirement at the point of application. If any documents are in a language other than English, you will need to provide official translations.
International23000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK students (per annum): £5,750
- International, including EU, students (per annum): £11,500
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.