Translation (French and Spanish) program offered by The University of the West Indies comprises the translation of texts and analyses of difficulties arising from problems in understanding ideas in the source language and re-expressing them in the target language.
Graduates with Translation (French and Spanish) from The University of the West Indies will:
- acquire translating methods
- develop professional skills by applying appropriate translation techniques.
- gain knowledgeable about international affairs, politics, international organization, economic, scientific, technical, medical and legal issues and publications on translation.
- enhance linguistic skills in English, French and Spanish;
- be exposed to current theoretical thinking and linguistic theories on translation and help them to develop an understanding of their relation to the practice of translation;
- develop their critical and analytical skills, composing skills, research and production skills and improve their overall cognitive abilities through the translation process.
- develop the ability to draw on extra-linguistic knowledge, to make sound decisions in translation;
- develop ability to manage translation projects.
- Principles and Practices of Translation
- General Translation
- Institutional Translation
- Technical Translation
- Financial Translation
- Management of Translation Projects
- Legal Translation
- Research Project - Commented Translation/Extended Translation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 3 other Masters in Languages in Jamaica
- Applicants should normally possess at least an Upper Second class degree in one of the following combinations: French/Spanish double major, French major/Spanish minor, Spanish major/French minor
- Applications from mature candidates with demonstrable relevant work experience are also welcomed. Prospective candidates may be required to take an entry test consisting of translations and an interview.
International15000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 USD per year during 24 months.
National3221 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3221 USD per year during 24 months.
- Sponsored Students from Contributing Countries J$292,348
- Non-Sponsored Students from Contributing Countries J$495,907
- NonContributing Countries J$1,487,868
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.