The Secondary Initial Teacher Education Modern Languages programme at University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) is active and practical allowing trainees to develop professional competence through work undertaken in schools and in the University.
Trainees work with young people, develop their expertise in their specialist subject area, share and discuss educational issues and study relevant educational research. The course is just the beginning of what we hope will be a process of continual professional development throughout a challenging and rewarding career.
Careers / Further study
PGCE programmes include 60 credits assessed at Masters level.
As a trainee teacher, you will be joining a modern and well-regarded programme to train to teach across the 11-16 age range and gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
The module areas you will study are:
- Theories underpinning pedagogical approaches
- Planning and implementing appropriate teaching strategies and classroom management
- Subject studies
- Current educational policy and practice
- Evaluation of learner needs and the educational impact of their teaching
- Professional skills and attributes, including keeping children safe
- The use of evidence-based practice
- Feedback and assessment of teaching against the English Teachers' Standards, supported by a university tutor and school based mentor.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are no specific deadlines, but the sooner you apply, the less likely you are to miss out.
DisciplinesEducation Languages Teaching View 407 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
- Graduates (normally 2:2 minimum or equivalent) in French with German or Spanish to A2 level, or
- Graduates (normally 2:2 minimum or equivalent) in Spanish or German with fluent, accurate French to A2 level or above, or
- Graduate native speakers (normally 2:2 minimum or equivalent) of French, German or Spanish with a second language (for German and Spanish native speakers the second language should be French; for French native speakers the second language should be German or Spanish)
International14250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14250 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.