The Japanese Language and Pedagogy option at California State University Long Beach provides students with a vigorous training in pedagogy to teach Japanese as a foreign and heritage language while they further develop Japanese language ability.
The JLP option has two goals. Upon successful completion of the option, students should be able to (1) apply their pedagogical knowledge and skills, which they have acquired in the course work, to their teaching, and (2) develop Advanced-level proficiency of Japanese language based on ACTFL's Proficiency Guidelines. All courses are taught in Japanese.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Principles and Practice of Teaching Japanese
- Pedagogical Grammar
- The Structure of the Japanese Language
- Acquisition of Japanese as a Second/Foreign Language: Theory and Practice
- Selected Readings,'Writing in Japanese
- Technical Japanese
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Pedagogy View 421 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- A Bachelor’s degree a major in Asian Studies, or a field with an emphasis on Asia, including Cultural Geography, International Business, and International Studies and Linguistics.
- A 3.0 (“B”) GPA in Asia and Asian language related courses taken as an undergraduate. (A student whose GPA is less than 3.0 may appeal to the Department’s Graduate Committee for a possible waiver of this requirement.)
- Asian language requirement:
- Two letters of recommendation (preferably from academic sources).
- A short statement of the candidate’s objectives in pursuing the A/ST MA degree.
International3588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per year and a duration of .
National3588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per year and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.