The Department of Asian and Asian American Studies fosters multi-ethnic and cross-cultural understanding from a global, multi-disciplinary perspective and pursues an active language education program to promote cross-cultural awareness and intercultural understanding.
Graduates from the MA program in Asian Studies - Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language at California State University Long Beach can expect to be much more competitive for positions in the Foreign Service, State Department, K-12 and community college education and administration, international finance and industry, non-governmental organizations, academic publishing, professional translation work, and Ph.D. programs in Chinese, Japanese, or Asian Studies.
- Classical Chinese Fiction
- Chinese Culture and Tradition
- The Structure of Modern Chinese Language
- Contrastive Analysis of Chinese and English
- Asian Studies and Languages: Research and Methodologies
- Comparative Traditional Cultures of Asia
- Second Language Curriculum Development
- Second Language Testing and Assessment
- Qualitative Research Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Teaching View 911 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- A Bachelor’s degree a major in Asian Studies, or a field with an emphasis on Asia, including Cultural Geography, International Business, and International Studies and Linguistics.
- A 3.0 (“B”) GPA in Asia and Asian language related courses taken as an undergraduate. (A student whose GPA is less than 3.0 may appeal to the Department’s Graduate Committee for a possible waiver of this requirement.)
- Asian language requirement:
- Two letters of recommendation (preferably from academic sources).
- A short statement of the candidate’s objectives in pursuing the A/ST MA degree.
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
- If you are not a resident of California you must add $396 to the above totals for each unit of credit you take.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.