Drake University offers a Master’s degree in Literacy Education with optional endorsements in K-8 Reading, 5-12 Reading, or K-12 Reading Specialist that can be included as part of the coursework.
The program is designed for teachers and other educators who desire to lead literacy initiatives, become literacy coaches, develop curriculum, serve as master teachers and learn new strategies and techniques to assist students struggling in the classroom.
The program emphasizes contemporary skills in literacy education and research. Coursework is comprised of seven core classes. These seven core courses can also be pursued separately for those interested in receiving only a K-12 Iowa Reading Specialist Endorsement. It provides an opportunity to earn a reading endorsement or reading specialist endorsement.
- The Master of Science in Literacy Education is a 32-credit hour program. Seven 3-credit hour core courses are required for all students.
- To complete the remaining credits, you may add a reading endorsement or pursue a reading specialist endorsement. In some cases, students may be able to transfer credits already earned.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Case Studies in Literacy Education
- Writing Research & Theory
- Models of Literacy Instruction
- Reading Research & Theory
- Leading & Coaching Data Team Analysis in Reading
- Managing School-Wide Change through Literacy Coaching
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
It is requested that all materials be submitted approximately 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the intended start term.
DisciplinesEducation View 4146 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application for Admission
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcripts
International15000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 500 USD per credit during 12 months.
National15000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 500 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Des Moines
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.