Why study with us?
- Learn from experts from a range of disciplines – learn from distinguished and experienced academics from Australia and overseas in the areas of Law, Environmental and Life Sciences, Business and Architecture and Built Environment.
- United Nations Certification – we are the only legal postgraduate program in Australia that offers you the opportunity to obtain certification by the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) and/or the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR). To obtain co-certification, students must complete specific courses on Government Approaches to Disaster Risk Reduction and Sustainable Development and the UN 2030 Development Agenda.
- Flexible study options – at the University of Newcastle, you can choose to study full-time or part-time to suit your professional and personal needs. Our advanced online learning system gives you the flexibility and support to study anytime.
Upon completion of the Environmental Law program at the University of Newcastle you will be able to use your specialised knowledge to advance your career and work in various areas including:
- environmental and resources sectors
- public policy
- government sector
- non-government sector
- private sector, e.g. sustainability consulting
- legal practice or advice (for legal professionals only)
- in-house counsel (for legal professionals only)
A Master of Environmental Law does not qualify you to be admitted to practice law in Australia. If you wish to practice law in Australia, our Juris Doctor (JD) and the embedded Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (GDLP) is designed to equip you with knowledge, clinical experience and the qualifications for admission to legal practice in Australia. JD graduates can apply for entry into the legal profession as solicitors without any further study.
- Environmental Law
- Law and Economics of Climate Change
- International Environmental Law and Policy
- Sustainable Development and the United Nations 2030 Development Agenda
- Environmental/Natural Resources Law Clinic
- Property Law and Planning Legislation
- Human Rights and Climate Change-Induced Human Displacement
- Disaster Management Policy/Social Considerations
- Government and Disaster Risk Reduction
- 12 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
It is recommended you submit your application a minimum of 12 weeks before your intended semester or trimester start date.
DisciplinesPublic Law Legal Studies Environmental Sciences View 56 other Masters in Public Law in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Newcastle and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
CRICOS code: 0100471
Entry into the Master of Environmental Law Program (80 units) will be available to applications who have:
- an AQF Level 8 Honours Bachelor Degree in a related field such as law, environmental science, environmental resource management, environmental planning, architecture, engineering and surveying, or human and physical geography; or
- an AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in a related field such as law, environmental science, environmental resource management, environmental planning, architecture, engineering and surveying, or human and physical geography; or
- an AQF level 7 Bachelor Degree in a related field of law, environmental science, environmental resource management, environmental planning, architecture, engineering and surveying, or human and physical geography; or
International36150 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 36150 AUD per year during 12 months.
National26770 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26770 AUD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Newcastle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.