The Special and Inclusive Education from University of Newcastle offers educators and other professionals working in inclusive education or disability sectors, the opportunity to develop specialised skills and advanced knowledge to support children and adolescents with additional needs. The program focuses your skills and builds your qualifications, knowledge and understanding to teach and support students in special or inclusive settings.
The program is suitable for regular teachers working within inclusive contexts and also for teachers who wish to gain additional qualifications with a view to employment as a special education teacher. The program will enable qualified allied health professionals to understand and utilise educational strategies to assist children and adolescents with additional needs.
Why study with us?
- Study anywhere, anytime – whether you choose part time or full time, on campus or online, our flexible program and advanced online learning system allow you to study anytime, anywhere to balance work, life and study.
- Choose from a range of specialisations including Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, Early Childhood, Emotional Disturbance/Behavioural Problems or General Special Education.
- Ideal program for many professions - the Master of Special and Inclusive Education provides opportunities for both teachers and health-related professionals working with children and adolescents with additional needs.
- Become an industry expert - you’ll graduate with a high-level understanding of students with additional needs and possess the ability to create a supportive learning environment.
The University of Newcastle’s Master of Special and Inclusive Education will position you as an expert in the area of special needs learning outcomes, whether that focus is on face-to-face education and support, curriculum development, working with families or executive leadership in teaching and learning for students with additional needs. For those with a teaching qualification you will be proficiently equipped with skills and knowledge to assess student needs and abilities and to address identified learning difficulties or challenge-specific areas. Your learning journey will empower you to apply research-based strategies to your curriculum or professional context.
For graduates with a prior degree in an allied health related field – you can be part of a brighter future in community or disability services. You will be equipped with the insight to understand the impacts of deficit or disability in a student’s social, physical and academic functioning and of the intervention strategies that can contribute to their ongoing development.
- Education of Students with Learning Difficulties
- Teaching Methods and Techniques in Special and Inclusive Education
- Critiquing and designing research in inclusive, special education or disability service settings
- Policy, Administration and Collaboration in Special and Inclusive Education
- Challenging Behaviour and Positive Support
- Education Students with Developmental Disabilities
- 12 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
International: It is recommended you submit your application a minimum of 12 weeks before your intended semester or trimester start date.
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Pedagogy View 28 other Masters in Special Education in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code: 096167E
The Master of Special and Inclusive Education is an 80-unit postgraduate qualification, with admission available for applicants who have one of the following qualifications or equivalent in a relevant field:
- Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma; or
- Bachelor Honours Degree; or
- Bachelor Degree plus two years' demonstrable relevant work experience; or
- Diploma or Advanced Diploma plus five years' demonstrable relevant work experience.
Relevant fields and applicable work experience includes education/teaching, psychology, disability studies, allied health or a related discipline.
International34025 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34025 AUD per year during 12 months.
National20010 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20010 AUD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Newcastle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.