All graduate students enrolled in either the thesis master’s or doctoral program are required to take a written qualifying exam covering general earth science knowledge, usually in the second semester. Starting in their second year they are also required to make a progress research presentation annually within the department and submit short progress reports of their research and coursework to the Graduate Committee.
MS students in the Earth Science program at Rice University generally must complete one semester of residency and 30 credit hours. The thesis must include a least one manuscript that has been submitted to a recognized peer-review journal with the student as the lead author.
Houston is both the center of the international energy industry as well as home to NASA’s Johnson Space Center and the Lunar Planetary Institute. The department maintains strong ties with the oil and gas exploration industry, in which many of our alumni are now employed. Each year, over a dozen oil and gas companies recruit students in the department for summer internships and full time employment. Our PhD students find many employment opportunities in both academics and in industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The earth
- History of the earth and life
- Field trips for the earth
- Investigating earth's surface
- Oceans and global change
- Crises of the earth
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences View 154 other Masters in Earth Sciences in United States
- GPA Requirement 3.0 or higher
- TOEFL scores if the applicant's native language is not English (a TOEFL score of 600 or higher on the paper test or 90 or higher on the iBT version is required for admission to Rice), or IELTS score in lieu of TOEFL (an IELTS score of 7 or greater is required) and;
- At least three letters of recommendation from teachers or advisors;
- Unofficial transcripts of grades from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended
- General GRE scores (use the code 6609 for Rice; do not worry about a department code)
International50310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 50310 USD per year during 12 months.
National50310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 50310 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.