Why choose this Performance - Writing programme from University of the Arts London (UAL)
- Diverse training: Your studies will cover various forms of dramatic writing including theatre, film, television, radio and digital media.
- Industry links: MA Performance: Writing has connections with high-profile theatres, television, radio and digital media organisations – nationally and internationally.
- Collaboration: The course offers potential for collaboration across courses in the Performance programme at Central Saint Martins and relevant courses throughout the University.
- Showcase: There is a showcase at the end of the course, in which extracts of work are shown to industry professionals.
Careers and alumni
Graduates from MA Performance: Writing will be equipped to work with creativity and focus in diverse environments, and to design and explore their own ways of working, confident in building and maintaining working relationships, yet also aware of their unique role in being the ‘champions’ of the story.
The aspiration for graduates is that they are prepared to embark on professional practice as dramatic writers and storytellers with:
- a knowledge of dramatic media and forms, an understanding of the landscape and practice of dramatic writing, and an insight into what constitutes successful writing and writers
- a range of technical facilities and capabilities, such as script formatting, project planning, dramatic structure and re-writing
- a body of practice-based projects, experience, and finished scripted works
- an appreciation of their developing voice as an artist, with the imagination and confidence that such self-reflection can afford
- a body of connections and experience with leading industry practitioners, projects and ideas.
- MA Performance: Writing explores the theory and practice of dramatic writing for performance and production across theatre, film, television, radio and digital media.
- The industry for dramatic writing is a demanding one, which requires confidence and intelligent insight to truly thrive.
- The MA Performance: Writing curriculum reflects the complex relationship between writer and their work as a piece of performance.
- It recognises that in the contemporary scriptwriting industry, writers are increasingly required to be flexible and work across various media and platforms.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The deadline has passed. However, this course will remain open until places have been filled. We recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Theatre & Dance View 208 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
The standard entry requirements for this course are as follows:
- An honours degree
- Or an equivalent EU/international qualification.
International15165 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15165 GBP per year during 24 months.
National6045 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6045 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.