The richness and diversity of sociological thought serves to engender new forms of critical insight as well as policy relevant perspectives concerning some of today’s most challenging problems in fields such as working life, healthcare, gender relations, urban life, migration and adaptation to climate change.
The Sociology programme is offered by University of Gothenburg.
Given the great range and vibrancy of sociological research, the Master’s Programme in Sociology can enable you to develop and pursue an exciting variety of career plans. The programme is tailored to those aiming for a professional career within the public and private sectors practicing qualified forms of social analysis.
The programme also prepares and equips you for an academic career in sociology and social sciences in Sweden or abroad
On the Sociology Programme you learn to creatively deploy sociological perspectives and methods to describe, interpret and explain contemporary matters of concern reflecting the complex interaction of local and global processes in today’s society. You will be able to take advantage of the choice and flexibility the Master’s Programme in Sociology offers to focus on cultivating the competences you consider most appropriate to your career plans. In particular, you will have the opportunity to gain the practical and analytical skills required to engage in both academic and more applied and directly policy-relevant research. Key features of the Programme include:
- Close links with current research within the Department of Sociology and Work Science
- Comprehensive courses in both qualitative and quantitative research methods (30 credits in total)
- Possibility to study abroad for one term (30 credits) or take a work placement
- Extensive individual supervision during the completion of a 30 credits Master's Thesis.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Qualitative Research Methods
- Applied Statistical Analyses
- Masters Thesis
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Email confirmation
- Notification of selection results
- Replying to the notification of selection results
- Paying your tuition fees
- Applying for a residence permit
- Looking for accommodation
- Registering for studies
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application and tuition fees do not apply for EU/EEA citizens or exchange students.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.