With increasing patient acuity, an aging population, and a growing need for highly skilled clinicians at the bedside, acute care nurse practitioners are in great demand, and the Master in Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner - Acute Care program at Duke University offers excellent preparation.
Intensive courses, state-of-the-art simulation techniques, and immersion in clinical rotations maximize the learning experience and enables you to become active members of an interprofessional health care team.
On campus intensives and state-of-the-art simulation techniques supplement an established program designed to prepare nurse practitioners for management of patients across acute care settings. Examples of practice settings include urgent care and emergency departments, hospitalist and intensive care services and step-down units in academic, community, or critical access environments.
Immersion in the clinical environment maximizes the learning experience and enables you to become an active member of an interprofessional health care team.
Experienced faculty with clinical backgrounds in various areas of acute care practice, including the emergency department, neurocritical care unit, and hospitalist service.
Extensive resources for instructional support, including high fidelity simulation equipment with expert simulation instructors to guide practice, internet support, and multimedia availability to promote distance based learning.
840 clinical hours
Our Master in Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner - Acute Care program at Duke University is distance-based with successful students who have a strong clinical foundation. At the time of application, you must have at least one year of acute care nursing experience and a current Advanced Cardiac Life Support certificate. You must maintain the certificate throughout the program of study.
You are encouraged to submit recommendations from mentors or colleagues who can speak to your preparedness for graduate-level education and advanced clinical practice. Recommendations submitted by physicians, nurse managers, advanced practice nurses and other nursing leaders are required.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Nurse as Scholar: Evidence-based Practice
- Population Health in a Global Society
- Professional Transitions: Advanced Nursing Practice
- Advanced Pathology/Physiology Across the Lifespan: A Conceptual Approach
- Physical Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning in Advanced
- Practice Nursing
- Clinical Pharmacology for Advanced Practice Nursing 3
- Advanced Practice Nursing in Primary Care Adolescents and
- Adult Patients
- Advanced Practice Nursing in Primary Care Adolescents
- Advanced Practice Nursing Care in Older Adult Patients
- Advanced Practice Nursing in Acutely Ill Adult-Gerontology
- Patients Synthesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesNursing View 686 other Masters in Nursing in United States
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or science from an accredited institution (transcripts required, including an estimated GPA and a grade scale)
- Statement of Purpose
- Three recommendations
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or equivalent—official results
- English Language Testing (TOEFL or IELTS)—official results
- Interview and/or a video introduction
- Nonrefundable application fee of US$75— paid by credit card, or by a check made payable to Duke University
Nursing experience (one year recommended for most programs; additional experience required for some programs).
International57900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28950 USD per semester during 24 months.
National57900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28950 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Durham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.