Organic compounds constitute the foundation of various industries such as rubber, plastic, fuel, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, detergents, coating, dyestuff, and agrichemicals. The very foundations of biochemistry, biotechnology, and medicine consist of organic compounds and their role in life processes. Clearly, organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry are important to our high standard of living.An in-depth and well-rounded education
You will also study organic chemical reactions, the principles for stereoselective synthesis, the use of catalysts, spectroscopy, and computational chemistry. Within the programme, you can direct your education towards either organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry. Your specialization will influence the topic of your final degree project.
TeachingThe Organic and Medicinal Chemistry programme of the University of Gothenburg emphasizes close contact with teachers and researchers, teaching in small groups and using problem-based learning methods in the form of mini projects. You will develop your critical and analytical thinking through project work and your communication skills through oral and written presentations of scientific material. You will put theory into practice during our many laboratory courses, allowing you to develop strong experimental skills. At the end of the programme, you will perform an individual degree project of one year within one of our top research groups.
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
- Molecular modelling
- Advanced Organic Synthesis
- Advanced Medicinal Chemistry
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBiomedicine Chemistry Biochemistry View 11 other Masters in Biomedicine in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree in Science with a minimum of 90 credits in chemistry, including at least 22,5 credits in organic chemistry, or equal qualifications
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- The selection process is based on number of credits from previous university studies (maximum 225 credits), the applicants CV, letter of recommendation, and letter of motivation
- Interviews are conducted if considered necessary in order to make a correct evaluation
International11910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23820 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 242,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.