Chemistry is crucial to developing a sustainable society. By creating new drugs and new materials that are recyclable, environmentally friendly, and energy efficient, chemists have the opportunity to solve global challenges, both within health and medicine and related to climate and the environment.
An in-depth and well-rounded education
The Chemistry programme of the University of Gothenburg provides a deep and up-to-date understanding of chemistry and you will learn to use advanced experimental and theoretical methods. Analysing complex processes at the atomic level and their intricate relationships will sharpen your skills. Such fundamental knowledge is useful for many modern applications like the following:
- synthesis of organic compounds for drug delivery
- synthesis of new nanomaterials
- enhancing the functionality of materials used in industrial processes by tuning their surface and interfacial properties
- development of novel analytical tools for environmental and bioanalytical analysis
- development of new modelling approaches and simulations for complex systems
- design, production, and structural determination of biomolecules.
We emphasize close contact with teachers and researchers, teaching in small groups and using problem-based learning methods in the form of mini projects. You will develop your critical and analytical thinking through project work and your communication skills through oral and written presentations of scientific material. You will put theory into practice during our many laboratory courses, allowing you to develop strong experimental skills. At the end of the programme, you will perform an individual degree project of up to one year within one of our top research groups.
- Advanced Medicinal Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Bioanalytical chemistry
- Atmospheric Chemistry
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry Biology View 7 other Masters in Chemical Engineering in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree in Science with a minimum of 90 credits in chemistry, or equal qualifications
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
International11910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23820 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 242,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.