Encouraging your individual ideas in a diverse group
A large part of your work throughout the programme will be based on your own project idea. You will work both independently and in groups and will formulate your thoughts in writing. There’s a high level of personal responsibility for your own development, and you should have a clear sense of ideas you want to develop throughout your work. The Music, Improvisation and World Music performance programme of the University of Gothenburg encourages cross-border meetings but also presupposes a clear immersion in the idea you have chosen for your independent project. Meeting with students with diverse backgrounds creates an inspirational environment for creativity and innovation. Openness, curiosity, and reflection are central concepts. In the seminars, ideas are tested in theory and practice together with your fellow students and with students from other master’s programmes and courses.
Preparing you for your future career
The different subjects help develop your written and oral tools with the overarching goal of meeting the requirements of professional life. The programme is international and offers excellent opportunities to network with musicians of different backgrounds. We also aim to prepare you for the role of freelance musician on the international level. You will also be prepared to pursue further studies at the postgraduate level in music focusing on musical performance, if you choose.
- Main Subject Master Improvisation/World Music
- Independent Project (degree project) master
- The Reflective Artist
- Master's Seminar
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 10 other Masters in Music Performance in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor degree of arts in music or equivalent, and musical knowledge and skills that are assessed at the admission test and are the basis for selection
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- Submit your portfolio via SlideRoom
International23581 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47163 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 478,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.