Scientific environmental knowledge is the foundation of ecological, social, and economic sustainability and is at the core of today’s crucial issues of climate change, air and ocean pollution, biodiversity loss, and poverty reduction. Society is in critical need of environmental scientists that are well-founded in natural science, but at the same time have a good understanding of the societal context for working with environmental issues. It is the goal of our programme to provide both.
An interdisciplinary exploration of environmental issues
Environmental science is a young field dealing with the human impact on nature, cultural heritage, and human health. The Environmental Sciences programme of the University of Gothenburg deals with environmental problems at different spatial (local to global) and temporal (the past, present, and future) scales and has the ambition to cross both academic and national boundaries. It is interdisciplinary, with a strong basis in natural sciences but with significant elements of technology and social sciences. Our strategy is to study environmental issues from three perspectives:
- Deepening the knowledge of the causes and nature of different types of anthropogenic impacts and environmental problems.
- Analysing environmental problems from many different perspectives, such as temporal trends, severity, geographical extent, and economic aspects.
- Studying many different types of mitigation possibilities, such as new technology solutions, design and implementation of international agreements, company strategies, and policy making.
Create your own specialized profile
Our programme offers freedom to choose your own specialization, with only two semesters of mandatory courses (including the thesis project). Several departments at the Faculty of Science offer courses on different environmental aspects (see some examples below). You may also choose elective courses from other faculties, for example Environmental Economics and Adaptation to Global Environmental Change. Internship projects are integral parts of some courses, where you will have opportunities to work with companies and authorities. An additional opportunity is to take part in an international exchange for one semester. We have established links and exchange programmes with several prominent universities abroad.
- Atmospheric Chemistry
- Energy and Environment
- Plant Ecophysiology in a Global Change Perspective
- Chemical Risk Assessment
- Environmental Management Systems
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Environmental Economics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 42 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Gothenburg and/or in Sweden, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor of Science (environmental science - natural science, biology, chemistry, earth science, physics), or equivalent from a university including at least 15 credits in Environmental science - natural science
- These prerequisites can be waived if an applicant has verifiable equivalent knowledge/skills, for example for students with a Bachelor degree in geography - natural science
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- Selection is based upon the number of credits from previous university studies, maximum 225 credits
International11910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23820 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 242,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.