The Master of Ministry offered by University of Otago incorporates current scholarship in the practice of ministry with options from Biblical Studies, Christian Thought and History and Pastoral Studies, within an ongoing process combining theological learning and reflective practice.The admission requirements are a degree or equivalent three-year qualification in Theology with satisfactory grades, and the completion of a minimum of three years of ministry experience prior to application.
The degree consists of six taught papers at 400-level, of which three are in Ministry Studies and three are selected from papers offered in Biblical Studies, Christian Thought and History and Pastoral Theology. From 2013, the degree also involves the completion of a Research Project of 25,000 to 30,000 words related to issues emerging from the contemporary practice of ministry.The degree is designed to enhance a graduate's professional practice in a range of Christian ministries and to enable advanced reflection and research on the practice of ministry.
The program shall consist of six papers and a research project:
- Three papers with a value of 60 points from 400-level MINS papers
- Three papers with a value of 60 points from 400-level BIBS and CHTH papers
- A research project (MINS 5) with a value of 90 points
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHistory Religious Studies & Theology View 17 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Otago and/or in New Zealand, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International20964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20964 USD per year during 24 months.
National5042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5042 USD per year during 24 months.
- National: $6,928.00
- International: $28,805
Living costs for Dunedin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.