The role of surgical care practitioner (or SCP) is a relatively new one, driven by the needs of hospitals and healthcare providers. SCPs manage the clinical care of patients but also assist with technical and operative interventions - overlapping with some of the care that's traditionally offered by doctors.
On the the Surgical Care Practice course at Anglia Ruskin University you'll develop a range of procedural skills in the following areas under the direction of a consultant surgeon:
- pre-operative assessment
- arranging appropriate pre- and post-operative investigations as part of a multidisciplinary team
- overseeing the consent process following guidelines from the General Medical Council (GMC) and local Trust or healthcare provider
- liaising with medical, theatre, ward and clerical staff
- the World Health Organization Safe Surgery checklist
- preparing patients for surgery
By completing this course you'll achieve an MSc Surgical Care Practice, which leads to the title of Surgical Care Practitioner (SCP). SCPs work in surgical teams in a number of specialities, including urology, trauma and orthopaedics, cardiothoracic, plastic and reconstructive surgery, neurosurgery, paediatrics, general, vascular, maxillofacial, otorhinolaryngology and gynaecology.
- Introduction to the Surgical Care Practitioner Role
- Clinical Consultation and Assessment Skills
- Surgical Care Practitioner Skills
- Research Studies
- Major Project
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- It can take up to four weeks to consider applications, so we recommend you apply at least a month before your preferred start date
DisciplinesHuman Medicine View 729 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
- Our published entry requirements are a guide only and our decision will be based on your overall suitability for the course as well as whether you meet the minimum entry requirements
EU/EEA5100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5100 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Year two: £4,050
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.