The English Language and Linguistics programme offered by the University of Chester is delivered by a dynamic team of linguists, each with their own research specialisms. Our range of expertise includes corpus linguistics (computer-assisted discourse analysis), acoustic phonetics (useful for speech therapy), cognitive stylistics (how our minds process fictional and non-fictional texts) and critical discourse analysis (e.g. ideology in the media).
The dedicated English Language research space will allow you to undertake data-based projects using some of the latest specialist software (e.g. for acoustic phonetics and corpus linguistic analysis).
- Descriptive Grammar and Phonetics
- Approaches to Discourse Analysis
- Advanced Syntax and Phonology
- Research Methods in English Language and Linguistics
- Contemporary Issues in English Language and Linguistics
- Language and Identity
- Advanced Cognitive Stylistics
- Change in Contemporary English
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 363 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Chester and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A minimum of a second-class honours degree, or equivalent, in an appropriate discipline (e.g. English Language, Linguistics), is required.
- Students from countries outside the UK are expected to have entry qualifications roughly equivalent to UK A Level for undergraduate study and British Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) for postgraduate study.
- We accept a wide range of qualifications and consider all applications individually on merit. We may also take into account appropriate work experience.
International13449 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13449 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6885 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6885 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Chester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.