More than just a degree program, the Visual Narrative program at School of Visual Arts is a school of thought that immerses you in story.
Program Learning Outcomes
At MFAVN, you will:
- Develop an understanding of what story is and how it functions most effectively when visual and written media merge, by sharpening your writing skills and integrating them into your creative process and professional practice
- Create original works as both author and artist within a supportive and transformative creative community, with visiting artists and mentoring by a top professional in your field
- Connect and collaborate with a professional network in NYC and beyond
- Prepare to compete in creative industries such as advertising, video, gaming, film, animation, sequential arts, illustration, design and more
- Benefit from scholarships and our rolling admissions policy
A select group of artist/authors, we are a diverse, tight-knit community where you learn in small classes and are mentored by top professionals who know how to navigate today’s competitive creative markets.
Part of the extraordinary appeal of the program is that it is low-residency. Three intensive eight-week summer semesters at SVA in New York City give you the chance to connect with your peers and professors, to create in-studio and to absorb the Visual Narrative process. Additionally, you are able to access the myriad of creative opportunities in the city and to build a community of colleagues and mentors that supports and inspires. Four semesters of online coursework, critiques, discussions and interactive projects give you the freedom to pursue your passion and live your life—without uprooting it.
About the department
Whether you want to enhance your work through the power of story or take your professional skills to the next level, the MFA in Visual Narrative, one of SVA’s newest graduate degrees, is designed to make you think story first, and answer the increasing demand for great stories and storytellers.
A holistic approach, MFA Visual Narrative is a low-residency program that gives equal emphasis to creative writing and to visual art in all mediums. This merger of art and writing is a powerful tool that we think of as a whole new language. We call it Visual Writing. And our students are fluent. But fluent communication takes commitment and requires total immersion. It’s intense, it’s empowering and it gives new purpose to your creativity.
The MFA Visual Narrative program gives you the tools to craft your own stories and help others craft theirs.
A diverse group of carefully curated students spends three intensive summer residencies at SVA’s NYC campus. Then, two fall and two spring semesters engage students in rigorous online coursework—from anywhere in the world.
- Black and White and Narrative Color
- Analog to Digital: Dynamic Transformations
- Narrative Writing
- History of Visual Storytelling: Graphic Media
- History of Visual Storytelling: Film
- History of Visual Storytelling: Photography
- Story Visualized
- Creative Script
- Digital Short Story
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Art History View 620 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at School of Visual Arts and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Application & Fee
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcripts
- Transcripts or Academic Records from Foreign Institutions
- English Proficiency
International20940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10470 USD per semester during 36 months.
National20940 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10470 USD per semester during 36 months.
$20,160 summer semester (12 credits)
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.