The Curatorial Practice program at School of Visual Arts takes full advantage of the vast number of arts institutions and professionals on the doorstep of the School of Visual Arts in Chelsea and throughout New York City, which provides countless opportunities for study, mentoring and professional development.
Our faculty members work as curators, directors or in other professional capacities at major New York institutions. Our weekly guest lecturers are curators, artists, conservators, writers, architects, critics and theorists who come to the program from around the world to talk about their exhibitions, programs, projects and events.
There has never been a moment so potent in the explosive growth of venues for curatorial work across the globe, while the political urgencies we now see around the world are a call to curators everywhere to turn their attention toward the intersection of social and cultural concerns.
Our program in Curatorial Practice (MACP) is predicated on the fact that he global enterprise of the art world—including museums, Kunsthallen, commercial and nonprofit galleries, private collections, alternative spaces, biennials, art fairs, online art sites, and a vast number of other publicly and privately supported art platforms—has increased the number of curatorial ventures for programming on local, national and international stages that seek to effect change.
To emphasize the deeply entwined nature of education and professional engagement, MACP considers itself a hub for practitioners in the global field, not an academic cloister. What this means in real terms are exhibitions, performances, panel discussions, workshops and ample time in the city for one-on-one encounters with artists and professionals in the field on a continual basis for our students. They have the opportunity to create, curate and collaborate with leading professionals and institutions from New York, with further opportunities in projects and internships, including research, exhibitions and publications that span the globe. These events and collaborations, along with all of the New York art scene, give the students daily access to artists and professionals who become the basis of their own networks for the future. Nothing can beat the proximity of these encounters in the everyday life of New York’s teeming, international art scene.
Why We Stand Out:
- Rigorous curatorial training in the heart of Manhattan with leading curators and experts from New York’s major arts institutions
- Historical and theoretical study of the expanded curatorial field
- International network of institutions and organizations for career development
- Practicum: Research Methodologies
- Practicum: Logic and Rhetoric
- History Seminar: Post-1945 Transnationalism and the History of Art
- Case Study Seminar: Curating Digital Art Through Network, Gallery and Public Space
- Philosophy Seminar: Curatorial Practice, Body and World
- Curatorial Roundtable: Visiting International Curators Program
- Workshop in Critical Writing: Exhibition Analysis
- Workshops in Professional Practices
- Art Practice
- CP Exhibition
- Case Study Seminar: Models of Thinking—Curating a Program
- Case Study Seminar: History as Commodity—On the Contemporary
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 796 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application & Fee
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcripts
- Transcripts or Academic Records from Foreign Institutions
- English Proficiency
International38880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19440 USD per semester during 24 months.
National38880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19440 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.