This Biorefinery and Biomaterials program at Grenoble INP, Graduate schools of Engineering and Management Université Grenoble Alpes is available to students who have completed at least four years of higher scientific education in France or abroad. It is a degree course of the Master in Materials Science and Engineering.
For this master's degree, several scholarships are available, in France or depending on the country of origin, to cover all or part of the tuition fees as well as the costs associated with the studies. Similarly, this master's programme includes an internship, which can be carried out in a company or in a laboratory, with a minimum monthly stipend of 500€ if it takes place in France.
At the end of this master’s degree in Biorefinery and Biomaterials, forthcoming specialists will be able to implement biomass transformation processes and provide solutions that contribute to reducing the use of fossil resources, to intensifying recycling operations and to reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
In particular, they will develop skills related to:
- biorefinery processes
- chemical, physico-chemical and biotechnical means of obtaining elementary building blocks from biomass, essentially from wood
- biosourced materials, biopolymers and biocomposites
These skills are particularly needed today by companies and international organisations in the textile, plastics, packaging, energy, food and pharmaceutical sectors. They will thus enable specialists to respond to the many environmental challenges and issues of the 21st century.
Within this unique master’s programme in France, the main topics covered are:
- Biorefinery, fundamental aspects (gas, biomass, plant chemical components, polymer chemistry)
- Biorefinery for energy (bioethanol and biomethane production, diester production)
- Biorefinery for bioproducts (existing biorefinery and conversion processes)
- Biomaterials (biopolymers, bio-based polymers, composites, new biomaterials)
- Sustainability assessment (life cycle assessment principles, environmental factors, energy consumption)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This master’s degree is available to students who have completed at least four years of higher scientific education in France or abroad. It is a degree course of the Master in Materials Science and Engineering.
International3770 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3770 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 243 EUR per year during 12 months.
- Non-EU nationals: Partial payment: 500 € (beginning of July)
Living costs for Grenoble
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.