Why this programme
- The MSc and MRes offered in the Global Health programme of the University of Glasgow are both designed to allow you to focus your learning around the global health issues that interest you most, and are fully interdisciplinary in their structure and content.
- You will examine health issues that arise for different population groups and across national boundaries, including the social and cultural constructions of health, chronic illness and disability, and global and national health policies.
- You will make a critical analysis of health and its determinants, and develop a deep understanding of the influence and role of equality/inequality, demographics and location on health.
- You will study social science research methods, and apply them in the completion of an original piece of research.
- You will be taught by experts from the following world-leading centres based at the University: Institute of Health & Wellbeing, MRC Social & Public Health Sciences Unit, Strathclyde Centre for Disability Research, Centre for the History of Medicine, and Policy Scotland.
- You will become part of a leading centre of applied and policy related research bringing together expertise in health inequalities, health and wellbeing, disability, urban health, health economics and the history of medicine.
- Participate in networking activities, for example, inviting international Global Health professionals to attend a Careers in Global Health event, and a week-long fact-finding trip to Geneva (or other European centre for Global Health organisations).
- Taught by experts from the following world-leading centres based at the University: Institute of Health & Wellbeing, MRC Social & Public Health Sciences Unit, Strathclyde Centre for Disability Research, Centre for the History of Medicine, and Policy Scotland.
- Closely supported to build the skills, experience and networks that will open doors to you in your future career in Global Health.
Throughout your time at Glasgow you will have the opportunity to be closely supported in preparing for your future career in Global Health.
Early in the programme, you will be given advice on career pathways and how to achieve them, and how to use social media to enhance your career prospects.
There will also be an opportunity to organise an event that brings together leading global health professionals and benefit from their experience of forging a successful career in this field.
Our graduates have gone on to various careers, for example:
- health care professionals
- health care policy advisors
- health improvement specialist
- NHS management trainee
- registered nurse
- work in public health care systems, and the voluntary and third sectors
Others have gone on to study for PhDs in related fields (the MRes is accredited as providing PhD-level research methods training).
- Global Health in social context
- Improving health and society: Programme devleopment and evaluation
- Research design
- Communicable diseases
- Cultural, social and biological determinants of mental health
- Environmental health
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesInternational Relations Public Health Health Sciences View 1022 other Masters in Public Health in United Kingdom
- 2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent in social sciences, health sciences, medicine, nursing or other clinical subject.
- We will also consider applications from graduates from other fields, but you should submit a statement indicating why you are interested in changing fields.
- We will also take relevant work experience into account.
- A copy (or copies) of your official degree certificate(s) (if you have already completed your degree)
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained
- Official English translations of the certificate(s) and transcript(s)
- One reference letter on headed paper
- Evidence of your English language ability (if your first language is not English)
- A copy of the photo page of your passport (Non-EU students only)
International20400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK Part-time fee: £1,056 per 20 credits
Living costs for Glasgow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.