It recognises that business is being conducted in a dynamic, global environment and that organisations, both in New Zealand and through the world, need individuals who can work across the traditional functional boundaries as well as across national borders.
The Master of Commerce - International Business at University of Otago offers students the opportunity to combine the study of key international business issues with the study of language and cultural issues.
On completing the degree students will possess the following attributes:
- An understanding of the principles of international business
- An appreciation of New Zealand's position in the global business environment
- The ability to evaluate financial, managerial, economic, organisational and marketing issues in a global context
- The ability to take an interdisciplinary approach to international business
- The ability to communicate effectively with customers and suppliers in different countries
- A good working knowledge of their chosen language including business situations
- A sensitivity to different cultures and the ethical issues facing companies operating in a global environment
- The ability to work effectively in small multicultural groups.
- The programme of study shall consist of the preparation and submission of a thesis embodying the results of supervised research. In some cases, a candidate may also be required to take and pass approved papers, normally at 400-level, in addition to completing a thesis.
- The candidate shall, before commencing the investigation to be described in the thesis, secure the approval of the Head of the Department concerned for the topic, the supervisor(s) and the proposed course of the investigation.
- A candidate may not present a thesis which has previously been accepted for another degree.
- For the thesis, the research should be of a kind that a diligent and competent student should complete within one year of full-time study.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBusiness Administration International Business View 22 other Masters in Business Administration in New Zealand
- Entrance requirements for postgraduate study vary by programme with most requiring a minimum bachelor-level qualification in the same field, and some having additional requirements such as relevant work experience and/or professional registration in New Zealand.
- A postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma can usually be taken at any time after the completion of your bachelor's degree.
- If you hold an honours degree or postgraduate diploma you may be able to eligible for master’s study by thesis only. In some cases if you hold a bachelor’s degree you may apply for a coursework master’s degree or for master’s study by coursework and thesis.
International19881 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19881 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National5401 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5401 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- National: 8,189 NZD
- International: 30,151 NZD
The University offers a number of generous masters’ awards and doctoral scholarships (for PhD and other doctoral-level study). These scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit, research ability (where applicable) and suitability within the department. No interview is required. Students already receiving a full scholarship covering tuition fees and living costs are not usually eligible.
You can find out more about our scholarship options by visiting our scholarship page: https://www.otago.ac.nz/international/future-students/international-scholarships/
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.