The Health Sciences - Medical Psychology at Erasmus University Rotterdam - Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES) is an academic field which is enjoying a new found appreciation in health sciences, one that takes a closer look into the interaction between psychological factors and health.
For instance, how do physical complaints affect our psychological functioning? And also: why does our psychological make-up sometimes make us vulnerable to diseases, or prevent us from getting better?
Why study this
Students will constantly be confronted with thought-provoking research. Apart from studying these kinds of questions, medical psychologists also study doctor-patient communication and decision-making, and develop and evaluate psychological interventions for somatic complaints such as pain and fatigue. This allows for a more enriched understanding of these topics.
- The student is able to translate a (clinical) epidemiologic, public health or health care problem into a scientific research question.
- The student is able to translate a scientific research question in the area of (clinical) epidemiology, public health or health care into a research protocol and/or proposal.
- The student is able to conduct a systematic literature review of a clinical or public health issue.
- The student has knowledge about quantitative methods and the ability to apply this knowledge in preparing, performing, analysing and interpreting research.
- The student understands core concepts of etiologic (causality), prognostic, diagnostic, prevention, and intervention research.
The Health Sciences at Erasmus University Rotterdam - Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES) prepares you for a career in international medical research or for executive or advisory positions in clinical medicine, public health, pharmaceutical research, or health policy.
This programme is NVAO accredited.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- First semester - methodological, statistical core courses.
- Second semester - individual research project and elective courses.
- Research - Your individual research project will be supervised by leading professors and senior researchers, with the objective of delivering a high quality scientific research paper.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
The programme starts with the Erasmus Summer Programme.
DisciplinesPsychology Public Health Health Sciences View 97 other Masters in Psychology in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You should fit each of the following criteria:
- You have a relevant Master’s degree in clinical medicine, public health, health sciences, clinical technology, nutrition, (medical) biology, pharmacy, human movement sciences, psychology, health economics, or a broad master’s education with subjects in these disciplines;
- You have experience with performing research and have interest in performing quantitative research.
- You have already (co-)authored a few scientific publications.
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written. For more information please
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA14700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Rotterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.