The Health Sciences - Public Health Epidemiology program, offered by the Erasmus University Rotterdam - Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES), is the art and science of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through the organized efforts of society.
Whereas clinicians and general practitioners provide care for individuals, public health interventions are directed at whole populations. Many improvements have resulted from successful public health initiatives: vaccination and other forms of infectious disease control, safer working environments, preventive mother and childcare, safer and healthier foods, family planning, improved traffic safety, and tobacco control. To achieve or preserve access to effective health care services in society, there is a considerable need for public health expertise.
Students acquire the following competencies:
- Ability to formulate a clinical or public health problem and translate it into a scientific question;
- Ability to perform an extensive study of the literature concerning a problem;
- Ability to translate a scientific question into a research protocol;
- Acquisition of quantitative skills;
- Ability to make causal inferences;
- Ability to critically appraise published research;
- Ability to conduct the research, collect and analyse data, and draw conclusions;
- Ability to write a Master’s thesis, including the objective(s) of the investigation, a summary of the literature, materials, methods, results, discussion and conclusions of the research project and to present these findings at scientific meetings. Publication of the research findings in an international peer-reviewed journal is encouraged.
The degree prepares you for a career in international medical research or for executive or advisory positions in clinical medicine, public health, pharmaceutical research, or health policy.
This programme is NVAO accredited.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- First year: mainly methodological, statistical and programme specific courses and start research project;
- Second year: individual research project and advanced courses, electives and seminars.
- Research: Your individual research project will be supervised by leading professors and senior researchers, with the objective of delivering a high quality scientific research paper.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Management Health Sciences View 46 other Masters in Public Health in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You should fit the following criteria:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or a relevant Master’s degree from a discipline in or related to clinical medicine or public health (medical doctor, health sciences, nutrition, biology, pharmacy, environmental sciences, social sciences, economics, psychology, etc.).
- You have a good working command of the English language, both oral and written.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19400 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA19400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19400 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Rotterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.