The active planet Earth has been involved in many physical and chemical processes since 4.5 billion years ago. For human beings, the Earth is a habitat with traffic routes (roads, tunnels, etc.), buildings (dams, large buildings), suppliers of raw materials (ores, rocks and soils, energy resources), storages and filters (groundwater, effluent), landfills (waste, chemical and radioactive waste), risks (earthquakes, volcanoes, landslides) or endangered objects (coastal protection).
Geology at Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich is concerned with the history of the Earth, the natural processes on its surface and in its interior and with the development of life.
Special opportunities to develop important skills:
- Students learn how to deal with the complex interactions of various global and local processes. In the early stages they acquire the ability to interpret complex data sets.
- Field data are always incomplete and can not be addressed by simple formulas. Nevertheless, important conclusions can be drawn. In addition to a broad fundamental knowledge, creativity, observational skills, and recognizing the limits of interpretation are required traits for a geologist.
- Off-road field work in any climate, carrying rock samples in a backpack, demands the ability to endure hardships. Geological bodies are of large dimensions and geological processes run at low speeds over long periods.
- Geologists develop a good spatial sense and the ability to think in large structures and long time frames.
- Active Tectonics and Earthquake Geology
- Earth Surface Processes
- Exploration and Resource Geology
- Geological Remote Sensing
- Tectonic Geodesy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
If you are an international student, make sure to additionally send the required hardcopies to the Program. We recommend to send them until May 15.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology View 18 other Masters in Earth Sciences in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- University admission qualification (generally Abitur certificate or equivalent school leaving certificate; where applicable: school leaving certificate in combination with a university entrance examination certificate or a certificate from a one-year higher education course or university certificate).
- Updated CV.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
In practice, Ludwig-Maximilians-University charges a solidary fee of approx. Euro 150 per semester.
Living costs for München
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.