The Counseling Psychology program’s faculty at University of Houston is dedicated to providing graduates a deep understanding of counseling theories, skills and techniques. Graduates will gain an understanding and awareness of the role and influence of the counselor in providing services to a diverse population and will be able to apply relevant research to broaden their knowledge of delivery and counseling services.The objective of the Master’s Program in Counseling is to prepare competent counselors to work in a professional capacity with diverse clients and to assume entry-level positions in mental health settings.
Graduates in this program track seek licensure as Licensed Professional Counselors. There are also some students who complete this masters program to help gain later entry into the Ph.D. program.The program includes a strong theoretical background as well as practical training and experience. There is also an emphasis on the ecological-developmental approach in counseling that considers the influences on persons in environments and makes use of strengths of individuals.Students complete coursework and practicum, and either a Comprehensive Exam or Master’s Thesis. Graduates will learn:
- Counseling theories, skills, and techniques for diverse populations with various counseling issues or needs
- Understanding and awareness of the role and influence of the counselor in providing services to diverse cultural, ethnic, religious, gendered and social populations
- Knowledge of legal, ethical, and moral responsibilities related to the practice of professional or school counseling
- Application of relevant empirical research to broaden knowledge of delivery and counseling services
- Understanding and knowledge of effective and appropriate assessment and evaluation of clients or students in placements and delivery of interventions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of Counseling
- Intro To Grp Couns Thry
- Career Counseling
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCounselling View 902 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- Official reporting of GRE scores taken in the last five years
- International students have additional documentation requirements
International910 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 910 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National910 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 910 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
In-State401 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 401 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.