Advanced Art History Foundation at a Tier-1 Research University
This degree provides an ideal foundation for curatorial work or further academic study in the field. Alongside their coursework, students at the Art History program of the University of Houston are profoundly engaged in the city, a dynamic cultural center and gateway to the international art world. Our degree program is designed with a significant number of electives, which enable students to craft an educational experience best suited to their individual needs and interests. It also allows them to take advantage of numerous high quality internship opportunities that propel forward their career ambitions.The MA in Art History program is located in the School of Art, where program participants have the unique privilege of developing their expertise in conversation with a peer group of MFA students in art and design working across the fields of painting, sculpture, photography, digital media, and experimental, interdisciplinary practices. In addition to a rigorous grounding in art history, curatorial theory and practice as well as art criticism are among the program’s specialties. Students have access to dedicated curatorial spaces for course or MA thesis-related projects.
- Graduate Art History Methods
- Independent Graduate Study in Art History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Museum Studies View 818 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- A completed online application, including upload of documents and application fee payment.
- Non-refundable application fee ($75 domestic applicants/$150 international applicants)
- Official transcript from each college or university attended since high school (sent directly to the Graduate School)
- GRE Scores, less than 5 years old
- 3 recommendations from those who are familiar with your academic work, at least one of which should concern your work in art history.
- A resume of academic and work experience
- Statement of intent stating academic interests within the field of art history and career goals
- One sample of academic writing (7-20 pages) can be attached during the online application process. It should be formatted as a pdf.
- International student have additional documentation and/or test score requirements.
International9936 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4968 USD per semester during 12 months.
National9936 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4968 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State3840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1920 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.