What you will learn
The Biostatistics MSc degree offered by The University of Vermont takes full advantage of courses taught in the Statistics Program and includes potential experience in a variety of health, biomedical, natural resource and other research projects in the College of Medicine or other departments of UVM. This experience is designed to provide candidates with opportunities to use their academic training and work experience in defining research problems, formulating rational methods of inquiry, and gathering, analyzing, and interpreting data.
Three of our faculty are in the College of Medicine's Department of Medical Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, whose research activities cover the full range of studies that take place within an academic medicine environment. These include population-based health surveys of various types and evaluations of health promotion programs and professional education activities, such as community intervention studies to prevent smoking and to promote breast cancer screening. They also include clinical studies of many different interventions, bioengineering experiment design and measurement studies, statistical genetics, as well as data from other preclinical, clinical, and epidemiological studies. The Statistics Program has established an internship affiliation with the Vermont Department of Health. The internship program provides an excellent opportunity to interact with researchers from various disciplines on a variety projects.
Opportunities are also available for biostatistical research related to problems in agriculture and the life sciences, as well as natural resources and the environment. Opportunities could include multivariate or spatial data analyses for ongoing wildlife and water quality studies for example. All students gain research and consulting experience through our research requirement: a research project (STAT 381) or a thesis (STAT 391). Other opportunities for experience will arise through involvement in our Statistical Consulting Clinic. (STAT 385). (See also Statistics Program and Statistical Consulting Clinic descriptions.)
- The department offers both a thesis option and a non-thesis option within the MS degree in Biostatistics.
- Under both plans, students must have or acquire a knowledge of the material in Biostatistics, attend the regular colloquium series and participate in the Statistics Student Association Journal Club as part of their training. The comprehensive examination covers knowledge acquired in the core courses of the program.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Statistics Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 558 other Masters in Statistics in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Vermont and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Electronic Application
- Statement of Purpose
- Application Fee of $65.00
- Three semesters of calculus, through multivariable calculus
- (UVM MATH 021, 022, and 121 or equivalent)
- A course in matrix methods (UVM MATH 124 or equivalent)
- At least one course in statistics (such as UVM STAT 211)
- Email addresses for three people who will provide letters of recommendation. This information is submitted within the application and letters are sent from the recommender directly to us through the application portal.
- One transcript from each institution you have attended, including the one you currently attend. Unofficial transcripts uploaded by you are sufficient for the review process for most programs (Public Health applicants, please review your requirements).
- Residential Status Questionnaire (for in-state tuition purposes)
- Test scores for English proficiency for applicants whose native language is not English.
International51600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1720 USD per credit during 12 months.
National51600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1720 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State20340 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 678 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Burlington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Biostatistics.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.