In an era of unparalleled opportunities for skilled visual players and sequential image-makers, you will create, explore and play with 3D digital technologies and develop a specialist personal practice.
The animation industry is rapidly evolving, with new developments in real-time animation and immersive digital world-building.
Through experimentation and learning of advanced technical skills, you’ll instigate innovative approaches driven by critical understanding and self-reflection.
During The 3D Computer Animation programme offered by the University of the Arts London (UAL) you’ll create 3D computer animation sequences and assets, both individually and as part of creative teams comprising students from different media disciplines.
Work experience and opportunities
Live industry projects, workshops and professionals masterclasses, will introduce you to a field that’s constantly growing and developing, giving you skills for work in a collaborative and/or independent practice.
Through engagement with a range of industry professionals and permanent teaching staff, you’ll have access to workshops that build in complexity from intermediate to advanced levels across 3D computer animation skills.
Academic contextualisation, criticality and curiosity underpin studio practice, while collaboration across courses and programmes within the Screen School are encouraged.
The course supports progression to research at MPhil/PhD level as well as to advanced self-directed practice.
The course curriculum covers to two main areas:
- Animation for Film and Motion Graphics - In this area, you'll learn the skills to be a specialist in the latest technologies within 3D modelling, rigging, lighting, animation and compositing. Building on the principles of animation, cinematography and film language, you’ll explore filmic storytelling and characterisation within short animated sequences, motion graphics and/or short films.
- Animation for Games and Immersive Storytelling - You’ll learn specialist 3D animation techniques such as real-time animation, environment design, interactive design and 360° storytelling.
- 3D Computer Animation Fundamentals
- Design for Animation, Narrative Structures and Film Language
- Advanced and Experimental 3D Computer Animation Techniques
- Final Major Project and Thesis
- 14 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The deadline has passed. However, this course will remain open until places have been filled. We recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
DisciplinesVideo Games & Animation Computer Sciences View 702 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of the Arts London (UAL) and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Honours degree in either animation, illustration, visual communication, graphic design or closely related subject, and present a portfolio of moving-image work.
- Possession of equivalent qualifications;
- Prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required;
- Or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together.
- Employment history
- Personal statement
- If your first language is not English, you can check you have achieved the correct IELTS level in English
International23610 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23610 GBP per year during 14 months.
National11550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 GBP per year during 14 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.