The Asian Studies from the University of California, Santa Barbara program with an emphasis in East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies provides a course of study with a geographic focus on East Asia and an interdisciplinary approach concentrating on the humanities. It is assumed that most students will concentrate either upon China or Japan, but that they will also acquire a broad understanding of East Asia. This degree stresses advanced language training and coursework that concentrates on such fields as history, literature, performing arts, religious studies, and anthropology.
Two tracks or plans of study are available, a thesis track and a comprehensive examination track. For students who intend to pursue a Ph.D., the thesis track is required. For students who will go into careers in business, journalism, government or other private or publicly-oriented research, either track is possible. Students indicate on their application the plan they intend to pursue. Students are expected to complete the M.A. in EALCS in two years.
- Elementary Modern Chinese
- First Year Chinese Heritage
- Intermediate Modern Chinese
- New Phenomena in 21st Century Chinese
- Contemporary Chinese Religions
- Popular Culture in Modern Chinese Societies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages View 775 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Applicants must have a B.A. - usually with a major in Chinese, Japanese, or East Asian Studies - from an accredited institution by the projected Fall quarter of enrollment.
- Applicants to the M.A. in East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies are expected to have had a minimum of two years of language training in an East Asian language prior to admission.
International12852 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12852 USD per year during 12 months.
National12852 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12852 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Santa Barbara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.