The coursework MSc (Tropical Animal Health) is a collaborative degree programme, presented jointly by the Department of Veterinary Tropical Diseases (DVTD) and the Department of Biomedical Sciences, Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM), Antwerp, Belgium.
This degree primarily aims to address an international audience involved in tropical livestock and wildlife health, management and production in support of rural development, also wishing to integrate the impact of the diseases and control activities on the local ecosystems in order to increase knowledge and effectiveness of control strategies. The degree is more geared towards veterinarians and professionals with a background in Animal Health and Zoology, but it may also be of interest to medical professionals who want to broaden their scope. The modular programme is structured in such a way that a learner can, by selecting the appropriate elective and skills modules, achieve a qualification that will support various career paths.
Students are required to confirm whether a module will be presented in any particular year. This enquiry should be directed to the relevant head of department according to the syllabi information provided in the list of modules in this publication.This degree is offered as a combination of e-learning, face-to-face teaching and a compulsory collaborative induction/field-workshop.It has the following components:
- A one to two week compulsory induction/field-workshop
- Compulsory core modules
- Elective modules (Theory-based and Skills-based)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research methodology
- Laboratory diagnostics
- Basic epidemiology
- One health: basic concepts
- Advanced One Health
- Advanced one health: public health
- Animal health management: high impact and emerging diseases
- Advanced One Health: policy
- Surveillance and survey methodology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesVeterinary Medicine Animal Sciences View 17 other Masters in Animal Sciences in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Subject to the stipulations of the applicable General Regulations, a BScHons, a four-year BScAgric, BVSc or equivalent degree or a relevant postgraduate diploma (on NQF level 8) is required.
- Two years of professional experience might be required in certain cases.
- In cases where web-based/online modules are offered, basic computer skills are required in order to successfully participate in the degree programme.
- In certain cases, it remains the prerogative of the head of department to require, in addition to the entrance requirements, the successful completion of an admissions test before registration.
International2026 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2026 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
National2026 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2026 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
From R34 000 to R39 000
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.