The studio component of the program intersects with art teaching methods, art education curriculum development, visual-critical studies and supervised pre-practicum internships in public schools and at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Full-time practicum internships in urban, suburban and urban-rim communities engage MAT students in the study, analysis and production of visual culture with youth in the classroom.
MAT students graduate with an MAT degree from Tufts. You will complete a 12-month program of study in education foundations, art theory and curriculum and studio art. Many MAT students start with three education classes at Tufts in the summer, then take eight studio credits and two art education classes in the fall. They then complete their course of study in the spring with a student-teaching internship that includes a weekly seminar and an art curriculum development course.
When you graduate, you'll be eligible to apply for grades PK-8 or 5-12 Massachusetts Initial Teaching Licensure in Art Education. 46 states have signed the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certiﬁcation contract with Massachusetts for interstate license reciprocity.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Observing Theory in Action
- Food and Schools
- The Language Arts in Action
- Field Experience in Education
- Development of Knowledge and Reasoning in the Science Curriculum
- Mathematics Learning Environments
- Language Arts Curricula in Middle and Secondary School
- Linguistic Approaches to Second Language
- Development of Knowledge and Reasoning in Engineering
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Visual Arts Teaching View 1045 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- The application deadline for the MFA program is August 1st and admission is available on a space available basis after the deadline.
- Applicants to both the MFA and Studio Art Post-Bacc programs are required to submit a portfolio consisting of 10-20 images and/or up to 10 minutes of time-based work that demonstrates their artistic maturity
- All applicants must hold an undergraduate degree, such as a BA or BFA, from an accredited institution of higher education.
- All applicants are expected to be engaged in an art practice or have had some art training, general education advancement, and/or professional experience.
International47564 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 47564 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National47564 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 47564 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.