The curriculum of the Printmaking program of San Francisco Art Institute provides the opportunity for students to work with lithography, intaglio, screenprinting, letterpress, artists’ books, and relief. Digital methods for the production of two- and three-dimensional works are integrated throughout.
Artists who use printmaking at SFAI critically examine such concepts as multiplicity, reproducibility, and the “matrix” of the print in relation to contemporary art practice, ranging from popular to “high art” forms. Students also expand ideas of display, exploring the full range of exhibition possibilities from traditional print editions to sculptural, installation-based, and interactive approaches.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Conceptual Qualities: Demonstrates a developed conceptual framework of the work and its relationship to historical antecedents and contemporary critical discourse (i.e., clarity of ideas).
- Formal Qualities: Engages appropriately the materials and tools of the media used to produce the work (i.e., mastery of materials and technique, as well as how effectively the form follows the concept).
- Presentation: Clearly articulates and presents the ideas behind the work. Produces a cohesive and accomplished visual presentation.
- Research: Invests an appropriate level of research to develop the work, from both a conceptual and formal perspective (i.e. effectiveness of experimentation and methodology).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In Studio Art (with Optional Emphasis)
- Graduate Tutorial
- Graduate Critique Seminar
- Studio Electives
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 739 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application, including $85 nonrefundable application fee
- Artist statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
International47850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23925 USD per semester during 24 months.
National47850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23925 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.