The distinguished legacy of painting at SFAI informs the present and future of the medium.
This pluralistic history informs the contemporary moment where all possibilities are valued, from traditional approaches on canvas to interdisciplinary painting practices.
At the Painting program of San Francisco Art Institute, the ever-expanding definition of painting is affirmed by a philosophically diverse faculty enthusiastic about a wide range of approaches to material and conceptual solutions. Faculty challenge students to ask bold questions and to develop their own authentic approach to painting.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Conceptual Qualities: Demonstrates a developed conceptual framework of the work and its relationship to historical antecedents and contemporary critical discourse (i.e., clarity of ideas).
- Formal Qualities: Engages appropriately the materials and tools of the media used to produce the work (i.e., mastery of materials and technique, as well as how effectively the form follows the concept).
- Presentation: Clearly articulates and presents the ideas behind the work. Produces a cohesive and accomplished visual presentation.
- Research: Invests an appropriate level of research to develop the work, from both a conceptual and formal perspective (i.e. effectiveness of experimentation and methodology).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- In Studio Art (with Optional Emphasis)
- Graduate Tutorial
- Graduate Critique Seminar
- Studio Electives
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 558 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application, including $85 nonrefundable application fee
- Artist statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
International47850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23925 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National47850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23925 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.