The Textile Design, Technology and Innovation MSc course offered at De Montfort University aims to equip you with the creative skills to enter the industry with an innovative vision for the application of textile materials and the advanced technical expertise to design, construct and test garments in a specialist area.
We encourage applications from students from either design or technical backgrounds, and previous students on this course have created some of the most exciting, pioneering work by drawing on their wide-ranging areas of expertise. We have seen an engineering graduate using lasers to enhance the design process, a mechanical design engineer investigating the performance of lightweight synthetic motorcycle clothing and a contour design graduate developing clothing for amputees.
Sustainability is embedded into the curriculum. You will critically examine the ethical and environmental impact of design and explore a variety of materials and processes. Our range of optional modules span from real-world entrepreneurial skills of marketing and business planning to responsible design and manufacture.
You will learn in a supportive environment with a host of specialist facilities. Our team of academic staff and skilled technicians have experience working in industry and provide expert knowledge across garment and product technology, intimate apparel, textile technology and innovation, fabric construction, and sustainable and ethical practices. You will have the chance to work closely with industry professionals, enhancing your learning with opportunities to connect with a range of businesses, including those focusing on textile product research and development, innovative material development and sustainable design.
Our graduates pursue a range of roles, including product developers, textile technologists, textile chemists, product testers, project scientists, technical textile designers, across sportswear clothing, fashion and functional performance wear, and wearable technology. Progression routes from these would often lead to senior management, in roles such as production managers, heads of innovation, and product development. Many of our graduates have gone on to work for national and multinational companies such as Cleversocks and John Smedley while others start their own businesses. By helping you to develop sophisticated research skills, this course also provides excellent preparation to progress onto a PhD.
- Research Methods
- Key Textile Technologies
- Design, innovation and Sustainability
- Marketing for the Creative Entrepreneur
- Fashion Promotion and Marketing
- Design as a Strategic Business Tool
- Performance and Analysis
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods Innovation Management Fashion Design View 119 other Masters in Fashion Design in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at De Montfort University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You should have the equivalent or above of a 2:2 UK bachelor’s honours degree in a relevant subject
- If you have other professional qualifications and industry experience, we will consider your application on an individual basis
- Applicants with relevant qualifications should submit a portfolio of work
- Non-standard applicants will be invited to attend an interview with a portfolio and a 2,500-word report.
- Download and complete the international application form
- A copy of your qualifications
- A copy of your English language certificate
- A personal statement of at least 500 words explaining why you want to study your chosen course at DMU and any additional information that will support your application
- A copy of your passport
- Two references
International15100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8560 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8560 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK Part-time: £715 per 15 credits
Living costs for Leicester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.