The Cognitive Science - Embodied Cognition Master/Ph.D. at the University of Potsdam serves to expand and deepen the specialized and methodological skills and knowledge that you attained in your bachelor’s studies. Working on the basis of a subject-specific and interdisciplinary spectrum of methodologies, you are in a position to understand the issues in cognitive process analysis and to develop proposals for solutions. While immersed in a discussion of the latest research findings on embodied cognition, you will work on the modeling of neurocognitive processes and systems. In addition to the mastery of time-controlled stimulus presentation and response measurement, and the computational modulation of intervening bio-cognitive processes, you will gain broad and well-founded knowledge in experimental psychology and psychophysics, especially in the computer-aided implementation of computational models and experimental designs. You will learn to identify and to experimentally investigate problem fields such as action simulation, attention allocation, interoception, microsaccades, motor control, postural sway, and reading. You will also develop analytical and computational approaches in a way that is adequate to your inquiry. Working together with other team members, you can prepare your research results appropriately for presentation to an international audience.
- Graduates of this degree program will be able to work scientifically in the cognitive and neurosciences. They are also qualified for research and leadership positions in corresponding industrial sectors. Based on their deep knowledge of cognitive processes and their neuronal foundations as well as mathematical and methodological skills the graduates of this program can conceptualize complex projects and experiments in various subfields of the cognitive sciences, formulate hypotheses and examine them quantitatively.
- Cognitive Science and Embodied Cognition
- Mathematical Modelling in Neurocognitive Psychology
- Neuroscience of Embodied Cognition
- Advanced Methods: Experimental Programming
- Advanced Methods: Multi-variate Statistics
- Individual Research Module
- Developmental Science and Embodiment
- Language and Development
- Cognitive and Sensorimotor Development
- Neurolinguistic Perspectives
- Philosophy of Neuroscience and Embodied Cognition
- Cognitive Neuroscience, Neuropsychology and the Body
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Your interest in applied mathematics and the biological sciences, as well as curiosity about the neuroscientific and cognitive foundations of human behavior, constitute a solid foundation for beginning your master’s studies.
- In general, the prerequisite for master’s studies at the University of Potsdam is an academic degree, such as a bachelor’s degree. Your first degree should be in a subject that is relevant to your course of study, for example in psychology, cognitive neuroscience, cognitive science, computer science, or linguistics. Bridge modules at the start of the master’s degree provide missing mathematical or experimental training. Therefore, graduates of other related disciplines might also qualify.
- Because this degree program is taught in English, we expect good English skills that correspond at least to the B2 level of the Common European Reference Framework for Languages.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- 280 Euros per semester administrative fee
Living costs for Potsdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.