Specialists in lighting design are in high demand as the design industry looks to lighting to meet performance and sustainability goals and to create beautiful environments. Graduates of our program work at top lighting design, architectural, and interior design firms and develop career-long mentoring relationships with leaders in the field.
The Lighting Design program of the New York School of Interior Design balances conceptual and practical techniques for successful lighting designs. The curriculum includes studio classes which cover both conceptual designs and hands-on projects, allowing students to tailor their portfolios with a blend of commercial, residential and retail projects. Design studios are supplemented by courses covering the science of light, luminaires and light sources, natural and artificial lighting.
- The program is a full-time, one full year commitment
- Classes are in the evenings, Monday through Thursday, with an additional 4-day intensive offered each semester
- The program is offered onsite or online
- Applicants must have a degree in interior design, architecture, engineering or theatrical lighting (related fields will be considered if applicant is able to demonstrate aptitude and sufficient preparation to succeed)
- All applicants must submit a portfolio of recent work, including architectural and interior designs, photography, sketches, and lighting studies.
- Science of Light
- Lighting Design Process
- Rendering & Representation for Lighting Design
- Light Source Selection and Evaluation
- Lighting Design Studio
- History of Lighting in New York City
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Interior Design View 117 other Masters in Interior Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You must submit a non-refundable application fee of $60 for domestic students or $100 for international students.
- Applicants must submit a personal, typed statement, roughly one page in length, describing their reasons for applying to NYSID and their educational and professional goals.
- All applicants must submit two letters of recommendation.
- Applicants who have graduated from a U.S. high school within the past five years must submit results from either the SAT test or the ACT test.
- A bachelor's degree in interior design, architecture or a closely related field.
- Proof of English Proficiency.
International39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 USD per semester during 12 months.
National39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.