There is a strong emphasis on psychotherapeutic techniques and psychopharmacotherapy. The clinical component provides interprofessional experiences working with other healthcare providers in caring for individuals and their families with psychiatric conditions.
Students in the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston participate in 600 precepted clinical hours that prepare them to be skilled practitioners. Graduates are eligible to take the PMHNP certification examination offered by the American Nurse Credentialing Center.
Graduates of the advanced practice degrees are eligible to take national certification exams and eligible for licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse in Texas. Requirements for other states vary and graduates should check individual state requirements prior to applying for an advanced practice status or license.
The School offers both a Master of Science in Nursing and also a Post-Graduate program. The Post-Graduate program is customized depending upon previously completed graduate coursework. Students admitted to the PMHNP Post-Graduate program will create a degree plan with an academic advisor.
An academic advisor is assigned at the time of admission. The student and the academic advisor together will complete a degree plan to specify which courses are to be taken to complete the degree requirements.
The program can be completed in as few as five (5) semesters (full-time), or up to seven (7) semesters as a part-time student. Students seeking the five semester option should apply for summer entry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Nursing Informatics: Introduction to Concepts & Health Information Technologies
- Nursing Research & Epidemiology for Evidence-Based Practice
- Evaluation and Application of Research
- Pharmacology for Advanced Practice Nursing
- Psych/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Psych/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Clinical
- 30 months
- 42 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesNursing View 738 other Masters in Nursing in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A completed online application
- $60.00 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended
- A Baccalaureate degree in nursing earned from an accredited program. Applicants must have a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- A completed basic statistics course.
- Three (3) satisfactory academic/professional references. Supply individual references with an applicant letter of reference form (pdf)
- A course-by-course evaluation of international credentials by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) for individuals with degrees/courses from outside the US
- A professional curriculum vitae or resume
- Documentation (via resume or vitae): One year clinical experience as a psychiatric registered nurse
- An interview may be required of qualified applicants. All interviews are by invitation
- Writing samples may be required at the time of an interview
- One year clinical experience as a psychiatric registered nurse
International13428 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6714 USD per semester during 30 months.
National13428 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6714 USD per semester during 30 months.
In-State3792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1896 USD per semester during 30 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.